Table of Contents
- 1 Benefits of Using Chew Toys for Puppies
- 2 List of 12 Best Chew Toys for Puppies:
- 3 The Safest Types of Puppy Chew Toys:
- 4 What Should You Avoid When Choosing Chew Toys for Puppies?
- 5 Factors to Consider When Buying Chew Toys for Puppies
- 6 Top 12 Chew Toys for Puppies:
- 6.1 Alvi and Remi Teething Rope Set
- 6.2 West Paw Zogoflex Tux Chew Toy
- 6.3 Goughnuts Maxx 50 Ring
- 6.4 Mammoth Flossy 3-Knot Rope Tug
- 6.5 Benebone Flavored Wishbone Chew Toy
- 6.6 HARTZ Dura Play Scented Dog Bone
- 6.7 Yotache Chew Toy Set
- 6.8 Nylabone X Bone Flavored Chew Toys
- 6.9 Mr. Play Dog Chew Toys
- 6.10 Oneisall Chew Toy for Aggressive Chewers
- 6.11 Petstages Cleaning Chew Toys
- 6.12 Nylabone Puppy Starter Kit
- 7 A Final Note on Dog Chew Toys
Chewing is typical of any growing pup and the best chew toys for puppies serve a number of valuable purposes.
Benefits of Using Chew Toys for Puppies
Most dogs are born with a natural desire to chew. This may not always be a good thing. You stand the chance of having your favorite shoes destroyed or your pet might come into serious harm from swallowing something that isn’t meant to be ingested. Having said that, there are benefits your dog can gain from using chew toys.
- Dental and Oral Health Support
As with humans, tartar and plaque can form from the accumulation of food particles that get stuck in your pet’s teeth if not periodically cleaned. This in turn, causes gum disease and tooth decay. However, using chew toys often can help prevent all these by getting rid of food bits and other debris as your dog chomps down on them.
- Relief from Pain and Inflammation that Usually Comes with Teething
Puppies experience continuous inflammation while they teeth. Some dog chew toys are designed with special massaging nubs that help soothe the discomfort your puppy would definitely be experiencing during this time. While the chewing doesn’t actually take the irritation away, these nubs simply apply gentle pressure on your puppy’s gums, causing momentary distraction from the distress.
- Chew Toys Provide Sufficient Physical and Mental Stimulation
No matter how much some dogs enjoying laying around, when left for too long without interaction, some do tend to become bored. As a dog owner, you may not always be able to give your pet your full attention. Chew toys can help keep your dog adequately occupied while focused on the toy. Also, if your pet is a determined and aggressive chewer, the right chew toy can aid in creating boundless entertainment.
- Positive Chewing Behaviors are Encouraged and Developed with Chew Toys
As mentioned earlier, most dogs have an innate craving to chew. To fulfill this urge, your pet could chew on anything and everything, putting some of your favorite possessions at a risk of being ruined. In the worst case, your dog may end up swallowing non-edible substances, leading to serious health complications and even death by choking. With a chew toy, you can train your puppy to have better chewing habits. You can let them know that gnawing on their chew toy is better than tearing your sofa apart.
List of 12 Best Chew Toys for Puppies:
|Puppy Chew Toy||Rating||Price|
|Alvi & Remi Teething Rope Set||4.6||$|
|West Paw Zogoflex Tux Chew Toy||4.4||$$|
|Goughnuts Maxx 50 Ring||4.3||$$$|
|Mammoth Flossy 3-Rope Tug||4.3||$|
|HARTZ Dura Play Scented Dog Bone||4.2||$|
|Yotache Chew Toy Set||4.0||$|
|Nylabone X Bone Flavored Chew Toy||4.0||$|
|Mr. Play Dog Chew Toys||4.0||$|
|Oneisall Dog Chew Toy||4.0||$|
|Petstages Cleaning Chew Toys||3.9||$|
|Nylabone Puppy Starter Kit||3.8||$|
The Safest Types of Puppy Chew Toys:
When picking the best chew toys for puppies, consider the following safe options:
- Rubber Chew Toys
The most popular chew toys are made with tough and durable rubber. As long as they are not too hard, rubber dog chew toys are gentle on your puppy’s teeth and gums, providing relief especially when teething begins.
- Rope Toys
The most top-rated rope toys aid in supporting canine dental and oral health as chewing on them helps to floss their teeth and prevent the formation of plaque. Dog rope toys are also ideal exercise tools for both small and large dog breeds. They are great for bonding with your pet as knotted tug ropes are perfect for tug-of-war games as well as fetch. They are usually constructed with cotton fibers, making them fully machine washable.
- Puzzle Toys
Create some mental stimulation and engagement for your puppy with puzzle chew toys. Some user favorites come with a treat-dispensing feature where you stuff them with treats which your pet could attempt to release.
- Frozen Toys
Some chew toys can be frozen if desired. These types are particularly great for teething puppies as the cold helps to soothe inflammation and provide comfort.
Whatever type of chew toy you end up choosing, ensure it is made with high-quality materials.
What Should You Avoid When Choosing Chew Toys for Puppies?
As important as it is to know what to go for when selecting the best chew toys for puppies, it is also necessary to know what to steer clear of.
- Toys that contain toxic chemicals or allergens
Some chew toys contain harmful chemicals such as BPA, phthalates and lead. A few others are made with nylon and even chicken, if it is the flavored kind of chew toy. Though nylon and chicken are not exactly toxic, some dogs may develop allergic reactions to them. Be sure to carefully check the toy label to confirm it consists of nothing that would be dangerous for your puppy.
- Flimsy and cheap toys made with low-quality material
If a chew toy can be easily torn into shreds, it is safe to say that it isn’t suitable for your pet. Chew toys that come apart without difficulty are not only a waste of money, they may also comprise of smaller parts and pieces which pose a choking hazard. Also, the more high-quality a chew toy is, the longer it would last. Some of the best chew toys can last your pet even up to adulthood. When picking a chew toy, purposely select ones that have been made with durable materials, even if it means shelling out a bit more cash for this.
- Toys that are too small for your puppy
If a toy is too small for your puppy, there is the danger of choking, which can lead to expensive surgeries, or worse, death.
- Toys that look like objects your dog shouldn’t be chewing on
It is advisable to not let your pet chew on an object that looks like his or her toy. This is because on a day your attention is divided, you may not be able to keep your puppy away from the similar object if the chew toy is out of reach.
Factors to Consider When Buying Chew Toys for Puppies
There a few things you need to consider in order to buy a suitable chew toy for your pet.
- The age of your dog
Generally, younger puppies have smaller mouths than their older counterparts. As a result of this, a puppy would need a smaller chew toy while an older dog would require something slightly bigger.
- The breed of your dog
Because toy and small dog breeds have smaller mouths, they would require a chew toy adequate for their mouth size. Alternatively, pick a suitable-sized chew toy if you own a bigger dog.
- The chewing activity of your puppy
No chew toy is actually indestructible. Having said that, it is important to take note of how dogged or mild your pet’s chewing behavior is. If your puppy is a more aggressive chewer, it is best to select a chew toy that can withstand all that munching, like nylon (if your pet isn’t allergic) or rubber.
- Strength and Durability
When a chew toy has not been made with tough and durable materials, it can easily be destroyed. The strength of a chew toy would determine how long it would last especially if your dog is a heavy chewer.
- The toughness and softness balance
The right textured chew toy should ideally be sturdy but gentle. It should adequately clean your pet’s teeth, provide sufficient teething comfort and entertainment without causing dental and oral damage.
Some chew toys come in real food flavors such as bacon, chicken and even peanut butter. Provide additional interest for your dog by choosing a flavored chew toy.
Top 12 Chew Toys for Puppies:
With many glowing reviews, the Alvi & Remi teething toy set is certainly one of the best chew toys for puppies. With this set, you get 4 different toys that come in various textures made of cotton and floss fabric.
It is great for maintaining good dental health. It is firm enough to clean your dog’s teeth, preventing gum disease and reducing plaque. However, it is gentle enough to massage gums.
There are no plastic or rubber parts included in this set and it is also 100% washable. One attractive thing about this toy set is that in addition to it being great for chewing, it is perfectly shaped to toss, fetch and play other interactive games with your dog. The Alvi & Remi teething set is great for not only teething puppies, but small dogs and medium breed dogs as well.
- It works amazingly for dental health maintenance.
- It is ideal for teething puppies.
- It is washable.
- It works for interactive play.
- It is a better fit for only lighter chewers as it can’t withstand chomping activity from more tenacious chewers.
One feature that makes this chew toy stand out from many others is its treat-dispensing design. It has a hollow center for you to store dog treats including biscuits, kibble and peanut butter, which makes it ideal for rewards during dog training exercises. It is tough, resilient and durable, able to withstand heavy chewing.
It can be used for playtime too as it flings, bounces and even floats. It also helps that it is dishwasher-safe. The Tux has been cleverly constructed to keep your pet mentally and physically stimulated.
- Its treat-dispensing design makes it unique.
- It is ideal for reward-based training.
- Its weight is not evenly distributed and some dogs may find it heavy.
- It may not be ideal for smaller dog breeds as they can swallow ripped pieces if the chew toy comes apart.
It has been crafted by mechanical and polymer engineers and is smartly adapted with a safety indicator – you know it is no longer safe for use if your pet has chewed through its outer layer to expose an inner red layer.
Apparently, this hardly ever occurs and to boast of the extreme durability of this chew toy, the manufacturers have guaranteed a replacement if your dog can actually get past the external covering. It is that strong.
For a chew toy, it is expensive; however, you end up getting value for your money as it is highly likely to last through your pet’s adult life. It is not just a great chewing and teething toy, it also makes for a suitable fetching tool.
- It is one of the sturdiest chew toys currently available.
- It lets you know when it should be replaced.
- It has an offensive rubber smell which never really goes away.
- It may be a bit heavy for some dogs.
- It is expensive.
For your dog’s utmost dental health, this chew toy is one to consider. It is made from premium cottonblend rope fibers which floss your dog’s teeth while chewing and playing. For an extra cooling effect, it can be soaked in water and frozen overnight.
It is a machine washable three-knot rope available in multiple lengths. It features a tug shape which also makes it ideal for interactive play. It is one of the best chew toys for large dogs.
- It is made with high-quality material that gently keeps your dog’s teeth healthy.
- It is great for playtime.
- It is best only for mild to moderate chewers.
The design of this chew toy has been inspired by dogs’ high sense of smell and is made with real flavor. Durable nylon has also been included in its construction. In addition, it has been fashioned so your dog has easy and comfortable grip while chewing. It is available in various sizes and real food flavors including bacon, chicken and peanut.
- It has an appealing bacon flavor.
- It provides a comfortable grip for your dog.
- It contains allergens including nylon and chicken.
- It may be too hard and rough for some dogs, leading to bleeding gums and chipped teeth.
Its interior features a distinctive foam technology that is sure to reduce wear, increase its strength and make for a more enjoyable chewing experience. Best used with moderate chewers, you can also throw it, bounce it and play with it in water.
- It is gentle for massaging the gums of teething puppies.
- It works great for playtime.
- It is not very resilient in the hands of aggressive chewers.
- The smell a put a few people off.
Containing a set of 6 toys, this chew toy set has been designed for a number of purposes. It is not only ideal for satisfying your dog’s natural urge to chew; it can also be a fun tool for interactive play, improving the bond between you and your pet, as well as encouraging vigorous physical and mental activity.
This chew dog set contains everything from rubber floating toys to a squeaky toy, a tug toy and a cotton teething rope to help clean your dog’s teeth and support dental health. Each item is made with high-quality, non-toxic material and has been constructed to last.
- You get a lot in one pack.
- It is made with safe materials.
- It would be more ideal for a less aggressive chewer that would destroy this in a short time.
Fulfill your puppy’s natural need to chew with this beef flavored chew toy. Its soft and flexible material makes it one of the best dog chew toys for teething puppies. It includes nubs that massage and soothe your puppy’s gums.
It also helps to maintain clean teeth and fresh breath. Shaped like a cross, each end features a different texture and keeps your dog sufficiently occupied. It is ideal for puppies up to 15 pounds.
- It guarantees great oral and dental health while making your sure your dog is entertained.
- It would be safer and more practical to use this with smaller dogs.
- Some reviewers mentioned that their pets quickly got bored with it.
The tough, durable material of these toys puts them on the list of the best chew toys for aggressive chewers. Play time can also be made more interesting as they are also great options for indulging in interactive play with your pet, including fetching.
They effectively support dental health as each one has been designed with ridges which efficiently clean your dog’s teeth, massage gums and develop tougher jaws. Dogs weighing 70 pounds or less would greatly benefit from these chew toys the most.
- It is designed with ridges to provide oral care.
- It is great for determined chewers.
- The chew toy in the set shaped like a spiked ball may cause injury to a dog with tender and sensitive gums.
Shaped like a bright neon green bone, what makes this one of the best chew toys for aggressive dogs is the fact that it has been constructed with tough and durable non-toxic nylon. It is recommended for keeping your dog’s teeth clean and prevents the formation of tartar and plaque. It is also great for teething puppies as it is gentle enough to provide relief for their irritated gums.
The Oneisall chew toy is coated with bacon flavor which dogs tend to find hard to resist. It is available in three sizes suitable for different dogs and is a great tool to reduce your pet’s boredom and anxiety, while encouraging a progressive relationship with toys in general.
- It has a bacon flavor most dogs would love.
- It is suitable for aggressive chewers
- A few reviewers didn’t like the smell and suspected their pets didn’t either.
- Some dogs may find the plastic too hard.
- After it has been chewed on for a while, it develops sharp points which may hurt your pet’s gum.
This set of three durable chew toys is most ideal for puppies and small breed dogs. It is helpful in managing your pet’s dental health as it features ridges that clean teeth and massage gums. The ropes gently remove and prevent the growth of tartar. The tug shape means you can toss and fetch, improving your dog’s physical health.
- It cleans your pet’s teeth and prevents the development of tartar and plaque.
- This chew toys could pose a choking hazard to a larger dog breed with a wider mouth.
As known, teething comes with pain and discomfort. The Nylabone Starter Kit has been designed to soothe and alleviate your dog’s distress as teeth develop. It includes a starter pack which comprises a chew toy made with a soft material that is gentle on teeth and gums. The starter pack also includes a puppy treat bone containing DHA and omega-3, ingredients which support eye and brain development.
These treats are free of sugar, salt, artificial flavors, colors and preservatives. The package also has a puppy teething pacifier that features bristles to aid in cleaning teeth and curbing the development of tartar. An additional chew toy also aids in sustaining dental health. Finally, the set has puppy teething rings which help to encourage positive chewing habits early. Each ring is made with a soft material, featuring raised bristles to clean teeth and prevent tartar buildup.
- It is great for teething puppies as it helps massage their sore gums.
- The doggie treats include DHA and Omega-3 for eye and brain development.
- A number of users mentioned that the doggy treat in the package is indigestible as it remained whole when found in their pet’s stool.
A Final Note on Dog Chew Toys
The best chew toys for puppies serve multiple purposes. They are good for your dog’s dental health support, especially if you have a puppy in distress while teething. Chew toys are also amazing for playtime and most of all, they satisfy your puppy’s natural need to chomp and chew while ensuring your prized possessions stay safe.
The truth is that no chew toy is indestructible. While some are more durable and resilient than others, you must still pay attention to ensure safety. This is especially important if it’s new. As soon as you realize the chew toy has been damaged in any way, replace it immediately as there is a huge risk of your pet ingesting it. A rough-textured toy may also cause oral harm. In addition, if you notice your dog reacts adversely to a chew toy, stop use instantly and visit a vet if need be.